Friday, October 4, 2013

Reader 1


“A blog is only as interesting as the interest shown in others.”

This quote stood out to me as it is very true to our blogs on this course, as a huge part of our course is blogging (which is one of the examples of web 2.0) and to comment on blogs and questions things and find out why etc., which will improve our understanding and reflective practice as well as others.  It highlighted how important it is to get comment and having discussion via the blogs.

 This brings me on to my discussion and thoughts about ‘Reader 1’ after reading I now have a clearer understanding of the phrase Web 2.0. When I first started reader the reader I must admit I was a bit baffled but as I read on I began to make sense and realize the difference between web 1.0 and 2.0
 It highlights that Web 2.0 depends on the participation of Without Web 2.0 blogging; Facebook, twitter and other social networking sights would not exist

Below is a ‘Meme’ map by Tim O’Reily; here he is describing what constitutes a Web 2.0 System.




Web2MemeMap




This Map is really useful to me as I feel like it shows all the key points about Web 2.0. It shows that Web 2.0 is accessible and more and more people are using sights such as Facebook, Google and twitter. For example My Dad has just got Facebook, after years of saying he wouldn’t. My point is that more and more people are feeling like they are missing out on the ‘community’ that develops on these sights. Pictures and information can be shared across the world, this brings me on to reviewing the three particular competencies of Web 2.0 that Tim O’Reiley draws on.

·      Architectures of participation
·      Remixable data and transformations
·      Harnessing collective intelligence

It shows how Web 2.0 is being used today, this is because it is not just a one way community between the creator and reader because on Facebook you have the ability to link people to events and comment on things you have seen, share things with your friends and much more.

I feel that personally I just go along with technology without thinking about how far it has gone, if I think back to when I was 10 we brought one computer for our house and there wasn’t any of these sights such as Facebook and nowadays some 10 year olds have their own computers and own Facebook sights etc. The reason I mention this is because I feel that it is important today and that most business are involved in web 2. 0 because it is such a good way of communicating with the public and helping them to feel involved. For example Skype interviews are using Facebook to post notices, its quick and easy, which is why I believe web 2.0 is so successful.

I do believe that web 2.0 allows you to have the freedom to create how you come across, you choose what you want people to see, you are in control. For example I know some people who will only tweet good things or post on Facebook places where they have been and positive status’ therefore creating this ‘perfect life’ to others. When in fact behind the scenes things are not this way.  

I do believe you do have to be careful when using web 2.0 because it is so accessible people can take advantage of it as Kuehn, 2010,p.86 Quotes, “Teachers are probably the most vulnerable group in danger from violations of boundary crossing between one’s personal and professional lives” this is because when using web 2.0 you have to consider Ethics, as it is used for Remixable data and transformations, for example its so easy to share videos and pictures, you must make sure that you have permission by the people in these before you share them.  Also you have your reputation to think about and your professionalism to think about which links into Blogging, reading the reader made me realize that what we Blog and how we do so is going to be how we come across,

I will take advantage of Web 2.0 and use all it has to offer but at the same time use it wisely!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Heather!

    Well done on finding the time to create so many blog posts - I'm only just getting started (but I love to talk, so I'm sure they'll come flying out soon!)

    Could I make a suggestion about your profile? Would you consider moving your about me section to a side window? It seems a shame to have it at the bottom of the page - the more blog posts you make, the further down it goes. If you are not sure what I mean, then take a look at my blog and you will be able to see where my 'about me' is.

    Regards

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan

    Thank you for your comment about the 'about me' section. I didn't realise that it was getting further and further down the page. I have now moved it to the side and reading yours has made me want to have another go at writing mine in perhaps a little more detail!

    Look forward to reading your Blogs.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,

    Im still trying to get to grips with the reader and am slowly getting there. This was a really good blog and I wish I could copy and paste it - although i somehow think that wouldn't be allowed..! I particularly like how you have included quotes and even more so the quotes that you have chosen. Were these on the reader from online or did you find them yourself?

    Hope you are well.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy

    I read your blog on this as well and thought yours was good, i really like how you found the You-Tube clip! The quote i found at the beginning was from the internet i was just browsing and i came across it and thought how topical it was!

    Look forward to seeing your YouTube channel and your photos soon!

    Heather X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather, just read your comment and thought I would check your blog out! I really love how you have included the Web 2.0 'Meme map' as this wasn't in the reader and I was about to go online to check it out but found it here :) I agree it does show all the key points of Web 2.0 in an easier way than reading page after page! I also like how you have mentioned your dad as the same has happened with my mum. She said she would never get Facebook and it was for 'all the young one's and recently she set up a Facebook account and I laughed saying I knew there would be some way in there! however she used the excuse of family and friends around the world and she can checkout there pictures and message them at any time of the day which just proves the point of how powerful Web 2.0 is and how people do feel like they are missing out on the community! Look forward to reading more of your posts :-)

    Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather

    Where is the reader?! I'm struggling to find it? Would be great if you could let me know


    Great blog heather! Very informative.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beth if you go onto the middlesex uni sight and sign in, then click on 'My Study' on the left hand side there should be a link that you can click on. Hope that helps?!?! We were given paper copies on the Course Day as well. X

    ReplyDelete