Sunday, October 27, 2013

Task 2b Reflective Writing


Reflective Writing

From my last blog you can see that I initally had trouble getting started writing a journal for the course, which I felt was unusual for me as I do write my own personal diary now and then. I feel as I had be instructed to write I found myself thinking too much about what I was meant to write and trying to work out if it will be meaningful.

However after reading the Reader 2 I have gained a greater depth of knowledge on reflection and have come to understand that what I write now will becoming relevant and meaningful when I reflect back.

Knowing that my journal is private and is not an assessed piece of work or open to everyone to see has helped me to get involved with the task of writing in different styles.

When I was studying for my Diploma in Musical Theatre we had to do contextual studies which meant we had to write every night about our classes and corrections, this became habit to do this every evening, so I am used to keeping a journal so I found that it wasn’t the writing I found difficult it was finding the motivation to write down things into my journal, I overcame this my allowing myself to write at any time of the day and when ideas and thoughts jump into my head I can just jot them down.

I found that naturally I was writing in a descriptive way and writing my Initial Reflection. I feel that I do this already because the reason I write diaries is to record the day’s events and my feelings, I find it a good way and letting my emotions and feelings out onto the page.

The first different way of writing I tried was the List. This was not very successful for me as I found myself getting more and more confused and writing lots of different lists and everything became out of order and reading back through that entry of my diary I cannot make clear sense of it and I feel that this would affect the accuracy of my reflection. I found it impersonal as I consider writing lists for shopping or ‘to remember’ or ‘to do’ lists.

I then went on to try the Evaluation approach to writing, to an extent I was already doing this naturally in my writing however it did force me to dig deeper into what I had learnt and reflect on the situation in more detail. I liked this and I think I am going to try and evaluate more in my Journal throughout the course.

Moving on to Graphs, Charts and Diagrams, this was not very successful to say the least. I am not a visual learner and spent a lot of time wondering where to get started on this. I started off my doing a graph of my days events and reflecting back on it now it doesn’t really make sense to me and I feel that if I were to look back at it by the end of the course I will have no idea on how to reflect on that days events. Lets just say artistic talents lie in Dancing rather than drawing! I found that my mind did not want to work this way!

What if? This way of writing transported me to an idealistic world, I felt like a daydreamer. However it was very interesting and made good use of my imagination. However writing what could have happened rather than what did didn’t really make much sense to me. Maybe I will try this again later in my journal writing.

Finally writing in ‘Another View’, I found this interesting but like the ‘What if’ I felt that it was using my imagination. It did make me think how people perceive events differently and what impact you have had on that person was quite an interesting point to think on. However for my personal reflection I do not feel that it is the best form of writing for me to continue with.

To conclude I enjoyed trying out all these writing styles and I think I will try some of them again throughout the duration of the course, however I do feel that Description, Initial Reflection and Evaluation are the best writing styles for me. This exercise has really made me reflect on the way in which I learnt and has opened my eyes into different styles. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,

    Found reading your post really interesting as your findings on the separate styles are very similar to mine. I too agree that it made me less self conscious knowing our journal was private and therefore felt less pressure.

    When you said you jot down ideas straight away, is this in a list? /bullet points? that you later come back to to write your entry... or do you write things there and then? Also do you use a notebook, laptop, phone for your journal?

    I have one small suggestion that maybe you could post some extracts or examples of your writing styles... Obviously nothing too personal and just brief but it could back up your comments well. Just an idea :)

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather, it was nice to see a break down of how you felt each style of writing worked for you. I am just starting each of the 9 styles now so it will be interesting to see how they compare to yours.

    In terms of using the graphs and charts I think they could be useful if you wanted to reflect on one particular thing throughout the day for example your mood or energy levels?

    Looking at what Emma has said, personally, when I jot something down, I wouldn't want to go back and re-write it because I feel that would make the initial thought too 'formed' if that makes sense? (I know the comment was in no way aimed at me but just thought I would chip in!)

    Really loving reading your blogs though and you always seem to be ahead of the game which I'm also finding helpful to keep me on track!

    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma,

    When i wrote 'jot things down' i meant write my entry for my diary, i do not go back and rewrite it.

    As the journals i do not wish to share it, i know it would be useful to see how i tried out my graphs for example. However knowing that it is private allows me to right my true thoughts and feelings and if i was sharing things i feel i would start to adapt what i wrote.

    I use good old fashioned Pen and Paper, i always have done when studying for things. :)

    Amy, yes for my graphs i did use it to track my emotions, however when i look back it doesn't make much sense to me as i am not a visual learner. Looking forward to reading how you got on!

    Heather X

    ReplyDelete